You have to push yourself to plunge into your passions again and again…
We’re inundated on the daily with messages telling us to follow our dreams, live our passions, and be our most authentic selves. Simple right? Cliché quotes (which I happen to love) sure make it appear that way. But the truth is, for most of us at least, figuring out where our passions lie is only half the battle. What’s harder is actually creating a space to practice that passion in our lives. Most of the time you’re going to have to push for it and sometimes you’ll have to pull away from things slowing you down.
Pictured above is me quite literally “taking the plunge” into Caribbean waters. If only diving into our passions was always as refreshing as a morning dip in the ocean. Realistically though, taking the time to build any skill, grow any idea, and become successful in doing so is challenging both mentally and physically, even when it’s something you love.
Case in point: myself & Healthyezsweet Life. Writing for our community and contributing to a space of body positivity and encouragement lights my soul on fire.
*Edit* It lights my soul on fire most of the time. Sometimes it’s more like a flicker on one of those old stoves that you have to hold a lighter to before you can start cooking. And guys, sometimes you have to be the stove, the pot, and the damn lighter for yourself. Sometimes as passionate as you are about your path, you need that spark to get you going. I’ve never lost sight of my love and drive to produce content for you all, but I’ll be the first to admit that some days it’s harder to do so than others. And I’m sure I’m not the only one to get “blocked” from time to time.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Following Your Passion Productively
- Remind yourself that you have influence, and with influence comes responsibility
- Keep mementos of your “wins” to refer to when you’re feeling downtrodden (ex. an email from a client or fan praising you for the work you do, a voicemail from someone whose life you’ve impacted for the better, a newspaper clipping from a project of yours featured)
- Give yourself time to unwind
- Open your mind to constructive criticism
- Accept that failure is a natural part of progression
- Accept defeat in one venture to mean that your passion isn’t worth pursuing
- Open your heart to people who don’t encourage your vision
- Give yourself crap for not following the model that others claim yields success – the world could use your unique take and it’s your job to make them see why!
- Keep procrastinating a duty that is essential to growing your goal
- Remind yourself of setbacks unless you’ve yet to learn from them – once you’ve taken the lesson, let it go
Does anything worth having come easily? Are there exceptions?
What makes you feel “lit”? – in the passionate sense, not the new, hip meaning of the word you use when it’s time to get your drank on 😉
Want Exclusive Videos?
Subscribe to our mailing list to unlock 10 VIP videos!